Sunday, February 8, 2009

Wood's Story

As on every Africa trip I've been on God has a way of using my skills in unexpected ways. We knew ahead of time that we would be teaching a few classes at the new Bridges Of Hope High School. Having taught a number of Computer Science classes at Chapman and Concordia I expected to teach a couple of computer classes, but had no idea on the level of the students or the equipment. So I planned a couple of topics of varying levels, but not much detail. Of course, the computer teacher quit the day before we arrived and I ended up teaching a lot of computer classes over the two weeks were were there.


During tutoring time I connected with a 10th grade student who was challenging himself and me with some hard math problems. I could tell he was gifted so I started to talk with him about some computer math. Four months earlier he had been living as an orphan in one of the poorest townships I have ever been in. He had never used a computer before coming to the Academy and still wasn't very familiar with them, but as we continued I could tell he had a raw talent for computers. Over the next several weeks I worked with him and note that over my 20 years of experience in the computer industry I have only met three other people who had the amount of pure talent he had.

I mentioned this to the principal of the Academy and she said I should mention this to Mama Lulu the organization leader in the Phillipe township. She told me that this one student was originally not accepted into the Academy because he had started to become involved in one of the gangs. He had come to Mama Lulu and told her he knew his life would be over if he couldn't get into the Academy. He knew the gang life was a short one, but he didn't have a lot of options. Her exact words, "Praise God!". I could tell this was a difficult decision they had faced and prayerfully took a chance on this student. To have seen God's hand in this transformation and to see such big results in only a few months was awe inspiring. I've continued to keep in touch and feel blessed to have had this opportunity to share some of the knowledge God has given me over the years. Africa is always an amazing experience.

-- Wood

No comments: