Monday, February 2, 2009

Lacie's Story

From the moment we stepped off the plane directly onto the tarmac in South Africa, I knew this was going to be the trip that would change my life. After loading up all of the many bags of donations that we brought from Orange County, we were on our way to the Academy.

The drive was beautiful. The hills were so green and the sky was so blue. It was amazing driving through such beauty and having to remind myself that I was on a mission trip. We pulled up to the Academy and it was like driving into this secluded bit of heaven. The grounds of the Academy were so beautiful and inviting. There was a huge soccer field and beyond it were the most amazing mountains I had ever seen. We quickly got settled and then got to work preparing for the kids to arrive.

All of the months of planning and preparation were unfolding as we eagerly anticipated what the kids would look like and how they would respond to us. The bus pulled up and slowly the kids start to come out. They looked shocked at the group of Americans forming a tunnel for them to walk under and cheering as they exited the bus. Their faces are beautiful and full of anxiety mixed with anticipation.

We welcomed them in and gave them name tags, and from that moment on, we were hooked! These amazing kids captured our hearts and showed us what it means to love others the way Christ loves us. Our team gave everything we had and more and left feeling much more full of the Holy Spirit than we ever could have imagined. Each laugh, each high five, each conversation and each hug was a small victory in our quest to unite two sets of people and become a family.

As the week went on, I was inspired by some of the kids stories, and prayerful about the ones who never spoke. I was hugged by a five year old for six days straight and after she left my heart ached to be hugged by her again. I went with anticipation of being fully used by God to "save" these kids, but they ended up saving me.

I returned to Orange County with a greater understanding of my purpose on earth and a willing and open heart to allow God to fully reign over my life and make me a complete vessel to be used by Him alone. This life is not my own and it took a group of kids in South Africa to remind me that life spreads far beyond Orange County and God works in lives of those with broken stories and painful pasts. I will forever be changed by this journey!

-- Lacie

No comments: