Thursday, August 28, 2008

Alan's Insights

Among other things, God has given me a deeper understanding that poverty is mostly a breakdown or a lack of communication. I had heard this statement before and it sounded correct but now I really get it. Certainly, lack of money or knowledge is not the problem. As Christians and heirs of Gods kingdom we have all the wealth and knowledge and wisdom available to us through the Holy Spirit.

Furthermore, we are told that as Gods children we have the authority to work and make requests on Gods behalf and, as Aaron so eloquently preached, to be expectant of results as long as our prayers are in line with Gods good and perfect and just will. After all working with those who are viewed as impoverished is not a "nice thing to do" nor is it a request. In fact we are commanded to be agents of justice to the poor and oppressed. Surely God would not withhold any use of His resources in pursuit of social justice.

Therefore, lack of material resources are not the cause of the living conditions in Sweet Home and other townships. Nor is it the cause of the AIDS pandemic. Rather its lack of communication. Communication between religious denominations, between ministries, between Christians and between humans.

I really was encouraged by the wisdom of the CHE's in Sweet Home and Philippi. A great sense of hope came over me when we were able to facilitate honest and truthful discussions between the CHE's. I was reminded that it was not our burden to "make things happen" for Sweet Home. God and the community will take care of that.

However, my responsibility is to be available to use my gifts. In this case, to orchestrate ways to break down barriers of communication between God and His people (my brothers and sisters) and hopefully to disciple them in ways that will lead them into personal relationships with our father in heaven... and so on.

Finally, this revelation has caused me to consider how often God must be "frustrated" (I don't really think God gets frustrated) with me for my willingness to settle for so much less than He is willing to offer. He sees so clearly what I can not see, or refuse to see, because of my self will. To see the light go on in someones eyes when they realize this truth is a blessing that God gave me while working with CHE's in Sweet Home. I believe its all about communication.

Anyway ill stop rambling on. I hope this is what you were looking for Wood. It certainly helped me to write it out.

Peace out,
Alan

No comments: